Globally Harmonized System of Chemical Classification (GHS) – Getting Started
- One of the first things an employer should do is to create a list of all hazardous chemicals in the workplace.
- This list should include retail consumer chemicals such as bleach, toilet bowl cleaners, etc.
- Compiling this list is required as per section 1910.1200(e)(1)(i) of Federal Regulations as part of a written hazards communication program.
- You are also required to obtain safety data sheets for all of these chemicals and train your workers how to use the chemicals safely.
- We recommend segregating any chemicals you no longer wish to have on site and take them to a proper disposal site as this will reduce the number of safety data sheets you will need to have in place.